Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, our community at St James Parish has been very generous. Every time we have been challenged to respond to a new set of circumstances, we have responded without hesitation. We are an active parish and have a long history of hands-on compassion. It is a generosity of spirit that defines this community and we are all thankful for it.
Thanksgiving is the main source of income in our Parish. An average 65% of the Thanksgiving contributions usually covers the parish running costs, faith formation programmes and pastoral care activities. The remaining 35% is put aside in an emergency fund and assists in meeting our loan. Unfortunately, the impact of the COVID-19 situation has been substantial. Our thanksgiving contributions have declined by an average of 42%. The church extension loan amounts to $3.32M (estimated principal amount of $2.35M plus $975K interest) over 20 years. To be viable, as a parish, we need to become more disciplined with our budgets, expenditures, and future costs.
We use this indicator chart to show the target amount we aim to achieve and the progress of our payments. As shown in the chart, at present, church extension donations are the only source of funding. Hopefully, as things get back to some normality, we could start to include a portion of the thanksgiving contribution. Our short-term goal is to achieve $990K by 2025. By August 31st we have reached $151,583. We will be sharing the progress with you on a quarterly basis.
We encourage you to continue supporting our parish through online payment. Thanksgiving contributions or Church Extension donations can be made directly to the Parish Bank Account through an Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT).
Account Name: St James the Apostle Parish
BSB: 083-347 Account Number: 646 205 822
For Thanksgiving please use your Thanksgiving Envelope number and your surname so we can attribute your donation correctly. Eg: If your Thanksgiving number is 123, and your surname is Smith, then use the reference “123-Smith”.
For Church Extension, please use as reference your surname and -ChExt. Eg: Smith-ChExt.
For Credit Card / Direct Debit contributions, please contact the Parish Office for more information.
Thank you for your continuous support and may you be blessed abundantly for your generosity.
Yours in mission,
Fr Jude Pirotta mssp